Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spiritual Growth

Okay, so I've just finished reading the book "Becoming Soul Mates" by the oddly named collaborators Dr. Les Parrott III, and Dr. Leslie Parrott. They are husband and wife, and I believe the husband's name is actually also Leslie, but goes by Les to avoid a very slight amount of what must be an absurd preponderance of confusion. Perhaps this is what God meant by the two becoming as one.

This book is about growing spiritually within marriage. Why would I read such a book, you ask? Honestly, my marriage doesn't need at lot of help, at least at this point. I had the book as part of a stack of books a friend gave me a few years back. It looked interesting and may even help me where I'm at now. I'm not sure how true that is, but some things about relationships in general can be found.

1) Listening is important. Not only hear what the other is saying, but affirm the emotion behind what they are saying. Sometimes when a woman is explaining a problem, she's looking for empathy, not so much a solution, particularly if the solution is obvious.
2) The unity candle during weddings is bunk. While the 'two become as one' both partners retain their individuality. This can cause strife when one partner wants the other to be just like them and they aren't. The two remain independent but share life together. Recognize that.
3) There are essentially 5 types of conversations:
  • non-conversations
  • critical-of-family conversations
  • critical-of-others conversations
  • materialistic conversations
  • discussions of issues and ideas
4) There is a correlation between church attendance and staying married. Even as little as once a month can fortify a relationship.
5)Prayer is important. Corrie ten Boom asked "is prayer your steering wheel, or your spare tire?" Basically prayer should guide us, not save us when things go awry.

So I guess I got a few things out of this, but probably more beneficial to the married peeps out there.

Later,
Matt

1 comment:

AJ187 said...

Why you wasting your time reading this crap? You should be writing that spec script for "KFC" and "every kiss begins with K." I got some investors interested in the project. Don't make me outsource the script to the Taiwanese.