Thursday, February 12, 2009

At the Mountains of Madness

In what I can only describe as customary H.P. Lovecraft form, At the Mountains of Madness is nothing short of an accomplishment. This story, like so many other lovecraftian tales, starts with learned researchers. Unlike much of the other tales I have read, this does not take place in New England, but rather the scientists are a delegation from Miskatonic University exploring new regions of Antarctica. It is here that the scientists uncover remnants of an ancient society, the likes of which match up closely to the Great Old Ones as described in the Necromicon. Upon some study, havoc breaks out and communication is lost. Search and rescue gives way to curiosity, which in turn leads to more treachery...

What a fantastic story. Highly recommended.

Matt

1 comment:

Mitch said...

I heard rumors that Guillermo Del Toro wants to make a movie out of this story at some point. I think I'd like to see him do anything Lovecraft.