Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Call to Communal Living

Recently I discovered a book amongst my tomes I acquired as a college parting gift from Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. A few years removed from that auspicious occasion, I read "Following Jesus in the "Real World": Discipleship for the Postcollege Years," by Richard Lamb. At first I was struck by the clarity in which the author summarized my oft frustration in finding relevance in a sea of unimportant activity. Much truth is said from building wealth and hoarding one's treasures not bringing joy, but rather the joy of Christ si where one's peace best comes from. Earthly treasures are at best, by definition, temporal.

The author cites time and again that followers of Christ are to bunk social norms, particularly western views of individuality and privacy and embrace a radical, communal living, as he has done, despite being married and having children. Pooling resources and sharing bedrooms in an effort to live frugally does carry opportunities to give further resources to others. While the notion carries merit, I suspect this living arrangement is not for everyone. And by everyone, I mean not for me. Perhaps that's my Western culture talking, but I'm sure I could find people who agree that this guy's idea is a little out there. Among those who wouldn't go along with this idea are the author's parents (p 210). If this had been mentioned in passing, I suppose it wouldn't bother me so much as the fact that the author returns again and again to this idea. While a lot of the book offers solid advice on getting involved in a local church and forming community with a small group in a bible study or outreach ministry, this communal living arrangement seems rather hippie-like. I suppose I should just write it off attributing it to him living near San Francisco.

Anyhow, this was a great book. Highly recommended for soon to be college grads or grads that are trying to find their way (me). Take the communal living with a grain of salt though, as with his hang-up on owning one's one VCR. (its a little outdated).

Matt

No comments: