Friday, March 20, 2009

The Shack


The important thing to remember with The Shack is that it is a work of fiction. There is no 100 pages of end notes in the back of the book like a scholarly nonfiction text. There aren't even many Biblical references within the story, which some would say, "Aha! Its clearly not a good book!" I would say lack of citations would make it a poor scholarly artifact, but that isn't what the author is trying to pass this off as. It's fiction!

Because the Shack is fiction, one would do well to build their theology elsewhere. It presents some interesting ideas and may be helpful in one's Christian walk, but at the end of the day, it is a story, and that is how this should be graded. Take the book's ideas with an open mind, but not an empty mind; that is: read the ideas presented but discern them, don't accept the book's ideas as truths just because they're in print.

All that is said to say, the book is powerful. It has a gripping emotional story arc and this draws one in. It makes for a good read, and the controversial ideas posed challenge preconceptions of what God is and how He operates. It is easy to see why these components make the story both compelling and appalling, depending on one's outlook on Christianity.

My copy of the book is plastered with positive endorsements, and it doesn't take much digging to find contrarian views of the book. It occurred to me that theologian Dr. Greg Boyd's teachings seem to be reflected in large part in this book. His positive review can be found on his blog here. Chuck Colson, founder of Prison Fellowship posted a review admonishing people to "Stay out of the Shack."

For my money, I liked the book and it's controversial ideals provided opportunity for discussion about them. Opening dialogs about Christianity is not a bad thing. I don't buy into all of the ideas posed, but do recommend it as a good read. My advice: discern for yourself if this is a good book and whether any of its precepts are worth shaping your life with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your well-thought out and well-written commentary. I agree with you, Matt. Since I believe that all truth is God's truth, wherever it may be found, I found a lot of truth in "The Shack." The book tells a story that is timeless...one of redemption and rebirth even through death. Do I think that brand new baby Christians should read this book? No...it is definitely a book for someone who is more established in his / her faith, but is maybe needing a reminder or a new way to look at something dear. By no means should the book be treated as Scripture or even as a definitive work on the Trinity; however, I do like that its concepts had me questioning--not my faith, but my preconceived notions of who God is.... Too often we get a picture in our heads of who God is or what He looks like...we need to remember that He is so much More than we can imagine or think. And I like the book for that reason...it makes you think.

Mitch said...

Wait? You're telling me fiction isn't real? So Ender isn't really going to save us from the buggers and Durga the Hutt really doesn't possess a Darksaber???

And despite popular opinion, Jesus did not look like Ted Nugent.