Sunday, March 22, 2009

Head First SQL

Head First SQL is a textbook outlining basic concepts and tools of Structured Query Languages and general database design. I picked this up about a year ago, found the first several chapters enjoyable but not a lot of new information.

The Head First series uses campy images from the 1950s and changes the captions to make them pertain to whatever technology the particular book is discussing. As such, the first several chapters explaining what Select and update statements do were much more entertaining than the average text.

Learning quite a bit about SQL on the job, I had hoped this would reinforce what I have learned and expand upon it. Just now getting back to it, I found that there is much I already knew about SQL that could be found in this 600 page book.

Later chapters were interesting in their explanation of concepts I had used but didn't fully understand, such as view, checks, and joins. The discussions of benefits were good, but I could also raise objections from what I had seen in practice. For the most part, finishing this book was a good thing as it allowed me to asosciate terms to practices. I've been using noncorrelated subqueries and natural joins for years but didn't know the nomenclature.

I'd recommend this book to developers that have limited knowledge of databases and what to know more. The information is presented in such a way as to make learning about Structured Query Languages, dare I say, fun?

Matt

1 comment:

Mitch said...

I'm still waiting for "Head First FTL" so I know how to properly evade cylon attacks every 33 minutes.