Thursday, January 1, 2009

Review of "The Screwtape Letters"

Greetings and salutations Andy, et al.
I know you're all excited for my next video entry, but I'm annoyed by the microphone on my webcam, so more research is needed there. I did snap a picture of me with the book cover to make things more interesting.


"The Screwtape Letters" is a book by C.S. Lewis (the fellow that brought us the Chronicles of Narnia), a fictionalized account of one demon writing to his nephew in the advice of how best to tempt the souls for which he is responsible for drawing away from God. This work differs substantially from the last Letter-based book I reviewed. Lewis noted that this book was difficult to write, as getting into this frame of mind was both easy and distasteful to him. That said, the both is full of insight.

The book reads with the design of a counterpoint - that is, Lewis writes from an opposition standpoint, so when Uncle Screwtape advises his nephew to encourage the poor soul he is tempting to do things such as become argumentative with his mother about all sorts of nonsense, Lewis is really saying we ought not to do this.

As such, there is insight in the lot of the common man, his thought processes and rationalizations in the face of Christianity. Although it may take some readers time to wrap their minds around the pretext of the work, it comes off as interesting reading.

This is very eye-awakening at the traps we sometimes fall into by our own - or what we think are our own - reasoning. I'd recommend this.

Until next time,
Matt

No comments: